Pearshaped

Pearshaped

Translate

Monday 20 March 2017

T Stands For…a train trip

Last Wednesday we were up early to catch a train! We arrived in York  at 11.45 dropped our luggage at the hotel and headed into the city. It was a lovely sunny day.
 This is the Micklegate entrance to the city and wasn't far from the hotel
This is the same gate on Friday morning, a much colder day altogether! We had bought ourselves a hat each the day before as we were beginning to feel the change coming!
We only stayed two nights (we had a very good offer from the hotel chain)so there was a lot to pack in and more than I can get into this post so I will show you some of the things we did and save some for another day(or two)
  This was the first place we visited after a stop for coffee - forgot to take photos so the place we chose was also the last place we had a drink too too!
It is Holy Trinity Church - they also had a very informative display about monasteries!
This is Treasurers House - donated to the National Trust by an eccentric owner. The decor is unusual but there are such wonderful things to see(we also ate a sandwich lunch there)

Frank Green had a reputation for restoring the house in his own way - a question was posed….

 From here we went around the Minster (not going in today!)..
…my attempt at an arty shot!!
We went back to the hotel along part of the city walls….
to check in and freshen up and then went back into the city - this was making it's way across - I bet the views were amazing!

We thought we saw a cat on a roof but it was only made of metal!
The next morning we set off in a different direction along the walls - it was quite blowy every time we passed a gap!
As we went down the steps to come off we saw this lovely window...
 and this..

This is where we came out!
From here we went to visit several history exhibits which I will try to show you another time - for now though it's time to go back to 'Partisan' - the cafe has a very French feel to it!
 For T Stands For Tuesday with Bluebeard and Elizabeth -
Here is hubby pouring his tea - in front of him Banana Cake.
 Here is my coffee and a piece of Pear and Walnut tart
I have a better shot of the cake but hubby decided to play…..!


I'm looking forward to seeing what the T Gang has been doing but that will have to wait until the morning - my exercise class today(Yes, you read that right!!) has made me rather tired and I will post this and go to bed!

Thanks for looking, Chrisx

26 comments:

My name is Erika. said...

That looks like a fun little trip. I think York sounds like a fabulous city to visit. Loving your photos. :) Hugs-Erika

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Your photos of York are unbelievable. What a difference a day made at the Micklegate.

Fabulous photos of the Holy Trinity Church. The Treasurer's house was unique and HUGE. I would say Green turned the fixer upper into a palace. LOVED your artsy shot of the Minster.

Bleubeard is jealous. He wants to be on that rooftop! Too bad his role model is a metal sculpture.

Why is it, I always like your drink better, but T's treat always is more fun? I would eat a piece of banana cake, but not sure I would want the pear tart. It doesn't look appetizing to me, but I bet you enjoyed it.

Thanks for sharing views of York, as well as your coffee, tea, tart, and cake with us for T this Tuesday.

Valerie-Jael said...

Wonderful photos of York, I used to love going there for a day out, it's such a lovely place. Happy T Day, hugs, Valerie

Helen said...

I love York; it is such a beautiful city. Looking forward to more of your trip.

chrissie said...

So pleased you went by train to York as the station there is one of the best in the UK I think. I just love going to York or even passing through there on our way to other places.
Thank you for sharing your trip there.We have never been in the Treasurer's house so I have that on the list for next time we go and that is on the list for quite soon. Wonderful photographs as always

Happy T Day

Love Chrissie xx

Redanne said...

Your photos are always so lovely to see, I love York and you really made the most of your time there - I think your arty shot is brilliant, and I love the (tin) cat too! I will have to put the Treasurer's House on the list for our next visit. Hugs, Anne xx

Meggymay said...

Wonderful photos of your trip to York, I think I have already said we hope to go visit there soon.
Loved all your photos especially the ones from the wall .
Happy T day Chris.
Yvonne xx

~*~Patty S said...

So enjoyed getting to see more of York in your lovely photos.
Tony is pulling a really funny face there LOL
Both of your pastries sound YUMMY and why am I not surprised you were drawn to a French style cafe ♥
The cat on the roof fooled me too :-)
Looking forward to more of your travel adventures.
Happy T Day and hugs to Tony too oxo

Linda Kunsman said...

what a gorgeous city to visit!! Great photos capturing the buildings. Yummy looking treats and I love your hubby's sense of humor:) Looking forward to seeing more of this area. Happy T Day!

Lynn Holland said...

Feel like I've had a good day out myself now Chris. Thanks for the virtual tour
Lynn x

Mrs.B said...

Looks like a great trip Chris, I love York. Lovely to see the pictures from the wall walk - haven't done that since the children were little. Looks like a lovely cafe - cake looks delicious.
Avril xx

Sandy said...

What wonderful, wonderful pictures. I would love to go to the UK and stay for a least a month!!!!
sandy xx

Divers and Sundry said...

We have nothing anywhere like this anywhere near us, so I'm grateful for your photos. Vicarious travel :) What stunning photos!

Happy T Tuesday

kathyinozarks said...

I rarely travel so I really enjoyed your post with all the photos-thanks so much for sharing and taking us along with you.
My favorite is the metal cat on the roof-love that
Happy T Day

jinxxxygirl said...

You totally fooled me! I for sure thought that cat was real...lol Such wonderful things to see... Great photos of you and hubby... I cannot thank you enough for taking us along!!I look forward to seeing more.. Happy happy Tday! Hugs! deb

Let's Art Journal said...

Thanks for sharing your lovely trip to York, I always love seeing the Micklegate and walking the walls :-) . You captured some beautiful photos of your visit and I'm looking forward to seeing more. I loved the cat on the roof (grin!). Wishing you a Happy T Day! J :-)

froebelsternchen said...

What a SUPER trip to York! Thank you for sharing the photos dear Chris!
Happy T-Day!
oxo Susi

Krisha said...

What an amazing place to visit, I LOVED every photo your shared.
Happy T-day.......your dessert sounds better than Hubby's ;))

Juliz Design Post said...

This is my favourite time of the year to go to York when all the daffs are out around the wall. Looks like you had a lovely time.
Julie x

johanna said...

i´ve never been in York, but it Looks inviting and interesting! i think you made a good decision to go there in the middle of the week - Hotels might be cheaper and the Shops are open.
love your photos - and i would love to join you with your cake (no bananas in the cake, thank you;)). pear/walnut sounds good to me.
have a great time:)

Brenda Brown said...

Wow what a great trip Chris, you packed so much in. Xxx

Eileen The Artful Crafter said...

Thanks for sharing your wonderful photos of York. The architecture is fascinating, especially the old city walls and gate. They bring to mind Medieval times ... and to think they're still standing ...

I was fooled by the cat on a roof too!

Happy T-day, Chris! Hugs, Eileen

Dianne said...

I always so enjoy your charming photos! Especially the churches and windows...And the goodies with your cup make me smile. Well, your hubby too! Lol 😉

Dianne said...

I always so enjoy your charming photos! Especially the churches and windows...And the goodies with your cup make me smile. Well, your hubby too! Lol 😉

Pamellia said...

Looks like you had a wonderful trip Chris. What a beautiful place, so full of brilliant architecture and rustic buildings and areas. Not here, soon as something starts to look a little run down, in come the men with their loud machines and rip it out to build a new condo or shopping mall. I wish Canadians would appreciate these sorts of things more. Lovely post. hugs :)

Lisca said...

So here I am doing a belated comment. We've been away for a few days for my birthday and the campsite did not have wifi or electricity (my laptop battery is knackered and I can use it only on mains power). We had a lovely few days with good weather.
Thank you for sharing you wonderful trip to York. I remember going to York years ago and loved it. We also visited the railway museum on that occasion. And when I was young, we went to the Viking experience museum, which made such an impression on me that i still remember all of it .
Have a great weekend,
Lisca